Satellite
  • Day 4

    Grampy Trivia

    August 7, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    From Grampy:

    This is basically the same question you had last year, but the answers will be different. As they say in college, the questions stay the same, but the answers change every five years.

    As you leave Denver, a widespread rainstorm is centered over the West. The first drop arrives as you leave the city for Jackson Hole; and, as the storm ends, the last drop falls as you drive into your campground at the base of the Tetons. Follow the course of each raindrop as it flows to its destination. What are the rivers the drops will traverse and through what states will they flow?

    Where do you cross the Continental Divide?

    -We are crossing the Continental Divide on I-80 about 7 miles west of Rawlings, WY. On I-80 there are two signs. This post has the first sign. We learned (thank you Wikipedia and our road atlas) that we will be driving through the bottom portion of the Great Divide Basin. This area is a pocket also known as the Red Desert. In this region the rainfall travels neither east nor west making it an endorheic basin. So cool!
    -Rain falling to the east of the continental divide goes into the North Platte watershed and into the Gulf of Mexico/Atlantic Ocean.
    -Rain falling to the west of the continental divide flows into the Green River watershed and then into the Gulf of California/Pacific Ocean.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Divide_Basin
    Read more