Satellite
  • Day 15

    Geraldton overnighting for repairs

    June 3, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 23 °C

    The next day saw us leaving Cervantes after a great weekend, and we turned left and headed further north, whilst the others turned right and headed south back to Perth.
    We were headed somewhere north of Geraldton, and the trip went well, for a while.
    At one of my pee stops, (they have them every 20 or 30 k's along the road) I happened to check the connections between car and van and noticed that the electrical connection was dragging along the ground, and part of the wiring and the anderson plug were cactus. Looks like I forgot to connect it properly when setting up to leave.This meant that there was no power to the van battery or fridge.
    Thought I could fix it myself, but when I realised that we did not have a crimping tool, we decided that the services of an auto electrician were needed. Being a public holiday, there were no electricians available anywhere.
    So, we decided to stop over in Geraldton and try and get things fixed early the next morning (Tuesday).
    We stopped at Bellair Gardens in Geraldton, which was a good park, despite being located in possibly the worst part of Geraldton.
    Took a drive around Geraldton, which seems to have been improved quite a bit since we were last there, many years ago. Found a good free camp spot down near the wharf, which we will remember for next time. Spent some time up at the memorial to the sinking of the HMAS Sydney - interesting place.
    Bit of a noisy night at the park - rail track and processing plant quite close to the park.
    Read more