Satellite
  • Day 1

    To Palermo by plane train and ferry

    September 19, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    So here we are in Palermo at the start of our long-awaited trip. And a most fascinating place it is too!

    We arrived by way of Rome for a night, then Naples (approached with caution but enjoyed very much), then an overnight ferry that brought us here yesterday morning.

    In Naples we can't fail to mention the Museo Capella San Severo, with its famous statue of the Veiled Christ, among others. A fishing net - carved out of marble! Sadly there were no photos allowed, but google it and you'll get the idea.

    Yesterday, among other explorations, we went up to Monreale, about ten kilometres out of town and with a hilltop location and a 900 year old Arab-Norman cathedral that are both magnificent.

    Today, we wandered extensively around Palermo, through the markets and the old town, past the garbage and the washing, the street sellers and the tourists. It is a fascinating mix of history, filth, exuberant people, beggars and some incredible architecture. A bit like Naples only slightly less manic, in fact.

    Tomorrow we take to the highway (provided we survive the crazy Palermo traffic) and head on down to the south. More photos to come shortly, too.
    Read more