Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    To Agrigento by car - and bad navigation

    September 21, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We are currently enjoying our second night in Agriturismo Baglio San Nicola, which despite its funny name is a very nice farm stay on top of a hill overlooking some pretty crappy looking farming country. The place itself though is just great, with typical and delicious Sicilian food for dinner each night and very attentive hosts. But enough of the domestic detail.

    We hired a car in Palermo, and extensively explored the city's freeway system, mainly from the roads next to the freeway while we searched vainly for the entrance!

    Then we hit the road proper and found our way to Segesta for a quick stop to look at some Greek temples before braving the Italian traffic again as we ventured south to Naro. As the Sicilian driver regards speed limits, marked lanes and imminent death from oncoming traffic as merely advisory this was a bigger adventure than it might seem!

    We are now back from a day at the Valley of the Temples, a huge site near Agrigento containing Ancient Greek and Roman structures in various states of repair and reconstruction. It was all very scenic, and as some of the buildings date back almost two and a half thousand years we should pardon a bit of wear and tear.

    Tomorrow we are on the road again, but for now a cold glass of beer awaits next to the pool!
    Read more