Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Day 43: San Pedro to Mérida

    June 19, 2023 ⋅ ☁️ 31 °C

    Day 43, our last day, from San Pedro de Mérida to Mérida, 17.2km
    Leaving San Pedro de Mérida, we have a pavement for almost a kilometre. We might as well make the most of it, because as far as Trujillanos, it's along a secondary road that runs alongside the noisy Autovía del Suroeste.
    At Trujillanos, a nice message greets us: "to read is to dream with open eyes". The church is closed, it's too early. The side door has stones dating back to Visigoth times. Storks' nests crowd the roof.
    One has to be vigilant when leaving Trujillanos: a roundabout needs to be negotiated and the bridge over the Autovía del Suroeste crossed, and at this time of the morning, commuters don't care about pilgrims trying to get through.
    After Trujillanos, we have about 5km of rural road. The harvest is in full swing.
    The transition from rural to urban is clear as we enter Mérida. We get a nice feeling as we pass the C.E.I.P. Nuestra Señora de la Antigua school, with Mozarito. We're looking forward to meeting Esther Nieto Vidal and her students tomorrow.
    The Camino took us past the basilica of Saint Eulalia. We took the opportunity to have another look at the crypt.
    We finally arrived at the Plaza de España. Happy to have been able to walk the Camino Mozárabe, from Almería and from Málaga. Si Dios quiere, as they say in Spanish, we'll be back next year to offer some of our time as hospitaleros in Abla.
    Read more