Satellite
Show on map
  • Georgetown

    March 17, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Heading to Georgetown, we leave the rain forest and lush greenery behind and head into the bush where the anthills become a dominant aspect of the landscape.

    Georgetown on the Savannah Way is home to around 320 people and was originally established to support gold and copper. The town offers a community pool and fitness centre including a very well equipped gym all for free. Surprising us we stayed in Georgetown for four nights.

    After settling in we had a walk around the town. Then a drive 20klm west to Cumberland dam. I didn’t know tailings dam could be so lovely and we spent sometime birdwatching and try to guess what bird is that, luckily there were signs to help. On the site is the remnants of a chimney all that is left of the gold battery. Back to town for a nice cool swim.

    Next day, some serious gold detecting. We arrive at Flat Creek Station set up and have a cup of tea. Rusty decided a snooze in the car was the better place to be.

    Then the detectorists got busy. The haul was three tiny bits of scrap metal and one shot gun pellet.
    Then it was time for a bite to eat and another cup of tea. Enough detecting for the day and back to the pool for a swim then off the the pub for pizza.

    Day 3. Copperfield gorge, Einasleigh and Forsayth . A scamper across the rocks provides a nice view of the gorge and the many fish that call it home. MAD walked upstream to the waterfall and us downstream to the beach.

    Then across the road to the pub where the beer is on ice not on tap we met Percy the pub pig. Normally the kids bring home a kitten or puppy nope they bought home a pig so it had to stay. The pub is full of all sorts of memorabilia, a room of miniatures and a fairy tree out the back. Certainly worth a visit. We stopped at the Forsayth park for a picnic lunch. The park has a meandering path dotted with tree carvings and a display of diesel train engines.

    So now we move on to Karumba.
    Read more