Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Bourke and Cobar

    January 17, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    Well, we have now been to the back of Bourke and have the t-shirts to prove it. We were very surprised with Bourke, main street was very pretty and clean, research had named Bourke as the crime capital of the world with 46 police staff for a population of around 2000. We visited the wharf area, which overlooks the Darling River, saw the silo art of Percy Hobson, first indigenous aussie to win Olympic gold, and several sculptures created by indigenous artists. After Bourke, we travelled further south to Cobar, where we set up for a couple of days at the old reservoir, a beautiful spot where the boys can go swimming and cool down.
    Cobar is a mining town, gold and copper. Had a look at an open cut mine and an old mine site, massive areas, and very impressive. Went to look at Devils rock, which was a little underwhelming. Apparently, the indigenous believe it is an evil site. Cobar has developed a miners park and memorial to miners, which was very interesting, and some of the stories were very moving. Lots of feral goats coming into Cobar, apparently, farmers are making money on them by exporting them.
    Read more