Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Redwoods to Volcanoes

    November 29, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    On Monday we went to the Redwood forest for a walk recommended by our hosts. It was a good bit of exercise as the trail climbed up high for some great viewpoints. We looked out over the Maori Village we had visited the day before and the geysers. It was quite interesting to view it from above and realize just how small the village is. That evening we had been invited to the “Big House” for dinner. Our hosts are very outgoing people and we were able to get all kinds of questions answered about farming, lifestyles, etc. here. Fresh trout caught by Juliann in the lake here was a special treat.
    One of things Dave had researched before coming here, was about an island that has an active volcano on it. We set off early yesterday morning for a boat trip out to White Island, leaving from Whakitane, about 1 ½ hours from here. White Island is 49 kilometres off shore, so it was a fair boat ride to get there. We always like to be out on the water, so that was no hardship. We got equipped with hard hats and gas masks before getting onto a Zodiac to be ferried ashore. The volcano last erupted about a year ago, but it could happen at any time again. Yellow sulphur is evident all over the area, and the steam that comes out of the vents can cause you to cough and your eyes to tear, hence the gas masks. And we did really need them when we got close to the vents. We were able to stand on the rim of the volcano. Very cool (well maybe cool is the wrong adjective). Our guide was very experienced and excellent at her job. Sulphur was mined on the island at one time, but it wasn’t economically viable over time.
    On our way back to Whakitane, the captain went off course, looking for dolphins. The Gannets that nest on the cool side of White Island go out to feed in the same area as dolphins, because they both eat the same small fish. The captain uses the radar to find groups of birds and then goes where they are to find dolphins. After some veering around, he found a pod of Small-Nosed Common Dolphins, that played around the boat.
    It was a great trip. We got back in mid-afternoon and decided to drive the short distance to Ohope Beach, a place that Barb Hobart had mentioned. We had a nice walk on a very pretty beach and found some driftwood for Dave to use to mount carvings at home, and some nice shells. Aside from a bunch of surfers in one small area, the beach was very quiet and in the park area the Pohutukawa Trees or New Zealand Christmas trees were starting to bloom. A lovely way to end the day.
    Read more