Satellite
  • Day 1

    Fez

    December 22, 2017 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We loved Fez.

    We landed in Casablanca and took a train to Fez. We had arranged for a car to come pick us up at the airport. Someone from our riad was waiting for us at the medina and they walked us to the place. It turns out this is absolutely necessary, because finding your way in the little streets and corners is almost impossible. In fact, even restaurants will get someone to pick you up and walk you if you need to.

    We stayed there for a couple of days and visited some of the main highlights, such as the Blue Gate (Bab Bou Jeloud), the Medersa Bou Inania, and the Chaouwara Tanneries (truly impressive, and not as smelly as we had been warned!)

    Of course we also spent quite a long time walking up and down the streets (Talaa Kebira and Talaa Seghira are the main ones) and exploring the little stores and markets. You have to haggle everywhere though, which ends up being exhausting if you're not that much into it, but we did end up getting some beautiful leather bags.

    We slept:

    Dar Gnaoua
    https://www.booking.com/hotel/ma/dar-gnaoua.html
    We stayed in the room on the top floor. It was beautiful and confortable. Breakfast was amazing and the views from the terrace were spectacular. Location was very convenient and the owner and manager were really helpful and friendly.

    We ate:

    Nur
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/02/…
    This place had been featured in the NYTimes and it looked like a great restaurant to have a fancy dinner. It's beautiful and the tasting menu was good, but not that good for the price, so we were a bit disappointed.

    Cafe Clock
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g…
    We loved this place. It's a casual cafe and restaurant with a cute terrace and friendly vibe. Quite touristy, but whatever. Their specialty is the delicious camel burger.

    Ruined Garden
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g…
    The place is cute and charming and staff is very friendly, but service is slow. We enjoyed the food but it wasn't the best we had during our trip.
    Read more