Satellite
  • Day 60

    Cross Junction, Virginia

    May 21, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    For some reason "Find Penguins" decided that we arrived home yesterday but of course we didn't. We arrived home in Cross Junction, Virginia, today. So I'm not sure you will get this post but here goes.

    Grave Creek Mound Archaeological Complex in Moundsville, West Virginia is a conical burial ground of the Adena people. It was constructed between 250 and 150 BC. Standing 60 feet tall with a diameter of 295 feet at its base it is quite an impressive site sitting in the middle of a residential neighborhood!

    After touring a very informative museum, Denny and I climbed to the top of the mound marveling at the structure each step of the way up. Apparently, it was built by the Adena one basket full of dirt at a time.

    The imposing structure across the street from the cone is the West Virginia Penitentiary. It closed in 1995 but is open for tours. We were told that Charles Manson's mother was once a resident of the place and that Charlie asked to serve his time here but his request was denied. Manson grew up in a small town near Moundsville and I guess he wanted to feel close to home.

    Unfortunately, we didn't have time today for the jail tour but we will be back!

    So. We are home.

    The 50/50/50 Adventure looks like this:

    Land Miles: 7,794
    Nautical Miles: 5,142
    States: 21 (including number 50 - Hawaii)
    Countries: 1 (only port of number 2 - Mexico)
    National Parks and Monuments: 6
    National Battlefields: 3
    Presidential Gravesites and Museums: 4
    Historic Sites: 8
    Rock and Roll Gravesites: 3
    Friends: 10
    Atomic Bomb Sites: 1

    What a Golden two months!

    Thanks for coming along.
    Read more