Satellite
  • Day 7

    4 seasons 1 day

    May 30, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    So we were up and at em this morning since we only had a couple hours to explore Edinburgh.

    We walked over to old town (the city is split up into 3 sections, old town, new town and the west end). Our first thing on the check list was the Edinburgh Castle. The thing was freakin huge.

    We walked down the Royal Mile aka tourist central and went into all the little stores. Whenever I travel, I always get a patch from the country and also a mini bottle of whatever the country's specialty is (this time its whisky)

    We walked up to Cilton Hill where we got an amazing view of the city. We saw Arthur's seat but we didn't have time to hike it with everything else we wanted to do. The parks highest point is Arthurs Seat, an ancient volcano, and sits 251m above sea level; it is also the site of a large and well preserved fort.  This is one of four hill forts dating from around 2000 years ago.  With its diverse range of flora and geology it is also site of Special Scientific Interest.(gives us a reason to go back)

    So we walked around new town for a bit going into some European shops. Before grabbing dinner, we had to find somewhere that kaylee could try haggis for relatively cheap because for those who don't know; haggis is sheep liver, lungs, stomach and other nasty stuff I can't remember. Kaylee said it takes like meat loaf but I can't seem to see how haha

    We are at an old Scottish pub for dinner with a Scottish brewed beer. We sat by the window & people watched as ate. Well,, I didn't really eat. I ordered a veggie lasagna and the tofu was gross and the noodled weren't cooked. I ended up taking it to go and giving it to a homeless person on the street. It wasn't great but it's still food, right?

    We went back to the flat to grab our bags and caught the bus from city centre to the airport.

    When we got through security, we decided to find out how to get to our Airbnb from the airport. Turns out Oslo is an hour train ride from the airport and the last train leaves 20 Minutes after we land. We checked how much an uber would be & it's about 100$ Canadian to get us there.

    Our flight was delayed about 20 minutes but we're supposed to make up for it in the air. if we don't make our train, we're spending the night at the airport cause we can't afford that uber 😂 good news though, we're sitting at the front of the plane... bad news? Our bags are about 6 rows behind us.

    We're 15 minutes out from landing and we're on time...
    please keep your fingers crossed for us. Ps. Flying over Norway at night is beautiful.

    Update: we made the train (super high tech). We arrived at the Airbnb easily. Let me tell you.... this city is spotless clean, gorgeous flowers everywhere & our apartment has all automatic doors, the fridge, microwave and dishwasher are all hidden in cupboards. Most importantly the beds are comfy.

    We're off to bed & up early to get some laundry done before we head out to explore the (already) beautiful oslo
    Read more