Satellite
  • Day 53

    El Angel, Ecuador

    January 17, 2017 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    As my last destination in Ecuador before crossing the border I headed to the small town of El Angel. There I caught a truck that took me along the old no longer used road that leads to Tulcan and was dropped off at the ranger station at the trail head to the El Angel Ecological Reserve and trail to Lagunas Del Voladero.

    In a cloudy mist I hiked my way to the lake / wetland surrounded by billions of Frailejones a plant that only occurs at high altitudes and in Ecuador only in this reserve. They can grow as tall as 4 meters and really create a dramatic landscape.

    The scenery was amazing, but the rain was cold. I set up my tent under a shelter the only dry place available. The rain died down a bit before nightfall and I was able to go sit by the lake for awhile.

    The night was freezing, my tent good sleeping bag and clothes saved me but it was rough, the next morning is what really made it work it. Clear blue skies, a bright sun and a beautiful view of the rolling hills of Frailejones and the lakes below.

    It truly was a great way to end my first leg of this journey in the very nature that makes this country so wonderful and ever amazing!
    Read more