Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 14

    3rd Sea Day before Cabo

    4 gennaio, North Pacific Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Poseidon is the Greek God of the Sea and is the counterpart to the Roman God Neptune, who is also the God of rivers, earthquakes and horses. Praying and sacrificing horses to him was considered necessary for success and safe passage. Alexander the Great sent 4 horses and a chariot, over a cliff into the sea before going to battle in Syria to insure victory. Greek mythology divided the world into 3 domains. Poseidon was given the sea. His brother Zeus received the sky, and Hades ruled the underworld. Zeus had the thunderbolts, Hades his helmet of darkness and Poseidon’s trident, when struck to the ground could bring forth bubbling water and earthquakes. Poseidon has long been prominent in seafaring paintings, sculptures, mythology and chariots pulled by a hippocampus, (upper body of a horse and lower body of a fish. The hippocampus dwells at the bottom of the seabed in a coral and gem palace.
    The ship spent the morning training crew for emergency evacuation, etc. Baggo was cancelled, so we spend some time by the pool until the shade disappeared, and we got too hot We had a small Trivia team 7, John, Marie, Heather, Ray, Paula, and us…. 15 and 22 won…. More reading, crocheting - (gloves-seems silly here) and a few lectures. We had dinner with Gloria (elementary teacher), and Tom (Pediatrician and infectious disease specialist in Boulder Colorado), and Beverly (dancer and recreational therapist turned personal trainer), and her husband Jim who was a 20 year army retiree from the intelligence area now living in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Beverly’s sister lives in Edmond, Oklahoma. We went to the Heather Clancy concert with 200 years of music wrapped up in one amazing evening from opera to pop. What a talent… one of Vikings very best talents. Her dynamic range, voice control, style, skill, humor, and overall command of the stage was second to none…
    Civilization was built on salt and therefore on the sea. Without salt, food preservation would not have been possible. Salt is necessary to preserve meat, fish, season, transport or store food. This practice dates back to the 1st century BC. Salt was used in battle to render the land useless. Salt was used as currency in trade. The word salary comes from the Latin word Sal for salt. Italy’s Via Samaria is one of the many roads used to transport salt from the sea to cities of empires. Salterns extracted the mineral very simply by evaporation. Empire, ceramic vessels with narrow necks were used to hasten the process over a fire. When the water boiled away, salt was left. Workers broke the vases and extracted the salt. Later shallow pans were used and left in the sun evaporate the water.
    Leggi altro