Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 21

    1 of 5 Sea Days to Oahu

    11. Januar, Nordpazifik ⋅ 🌬 15 °C

    Looking at a globe, it is not difficult to imagine the land masses fitting together like a puzzle. In 1912, Alfred Wegener (1880-1930) geophysicist, posed the Origin of the Continents theory that all continents were once joined. This theory of continental drift was first proposed in 1596 by Abraham Ortelius (1527-1598). he was a cartographer (map maker) and creator of the first modern Atlas. In 1920, Wegener, coined the term “Pangea” to refer to the massive supercontinent. This word is of Greek duration, and means (pan - all and Gaia - Mother Earth). Today, scientists believe that Pangea merged together some 300 million years ago and started to drift apart 200 million years ago. During its 100 million years Pangea resided mostly in the Southern Hemisphere. Geologists have identified matching fossils and identical geological features, in eastern regions of South America and western part of Africa. Given the Earth consisted of one huge continent likewise there was one enormous ocean. Panthalassa (Thalassa - sea) described the watery 70% of the planet. The Pacific Ocean, it appears, is the closest relative to the Panthalassa as all other seas were created after the drift of the land masses. Nautical Trivia - The term “As the Crow Flies” is a nautical term. Ships carried crows onboard and when released their flight path would determine the most direct route to land. This practice of keeping and releasing crows, is also why the highest place on a ship is called the crows next.
    The Captain announced we will be changing course to avoid a storm in our path to Oahu. (Follow the Viking Neptune on cruise mapper. https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9845910 New guest lecturers came aboard in LA. It should be fun to hear what they have to say over the coming weeks. Last night Travis Clover performed in the StarTheatre (50-70’s tunes) He was on broadway and had the longest running performance of Jersey Boys - he now lives and performs in Las Vegas - he is very good.
    Weiterlesen