Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 135

    Day 135 - Saint Malo, France

    May 4 in France ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    SAINT MALO, FRANCE
    A walled city in the north of France, St. Malo was devasted during the World Wars, however several important structures still remain. Along cobblestoned streets, opulent homes from the 16th to the 19th centuries remain, once owned by wealthy privateers. Five lavish houses are still standing today, known as the "Malouinières." Puits Sauvage has been in the same family for more than 200 years. Brittany's oyster capital, Cancale, lies along the coast; Louis XIV is said to have enjoyed this delicacy daily. The town's famous export is cider-a sweet, acid drink with a light fizz. We explored the charming seaside city of Honfleur, a once-thriving trading hub near the mouth of the Seine River. The city now attracts artists and romantics with its lovely quays lined with colorful slate-fronted houses. We had a local guide, as usual, who showed us around this medieval gem during a walking tour along the boat-filled harbor front. Its quaint narrow houses were a favorite subject of impressionist painters, including Claude Monet. Cobblestone streets led us to the fascinating and unique Saint-Catherine's Church. The largest wooden church in France, St. Catherine's dates from the 15th century. The roof is covered with chestnut shingles while the bell tower stands apart from the main church building to protect one or the other building from fire. We had a some time in town before we returned to Neptune by tender.

    Alas, we are getting near to the day we disembark, with a few more ports of call beforehand.

    Last night the traditional Viking Farewell ceremony/concert was put on, and to a packed out theatre. Why wouldn’t it be. There were two groups of passengers in attendance. Those that boarded the ship in Los Angeles, and those of us who boarded in Fort Lauderdale, some 137 days ago (by the time we get to Greenwich).

    Boxes of tissue 🥲 were handed around as performances were put on by the Viking Band, the entertainment team and of course our lovely Cruise Director A’veen. Also, speeches from the Hotel General Manager Ronald and of course the wonderful Captain Richard.

    All the senior officers, department heads and many crew from all the various departments paraded in front of the passengers.

    It was a wonderful show and sad to think that it is nearly over, but we take home such great memories.

    Once back in the cabin, there were our certificates and patches confirming our completion of the world cruise.

    As mentioned, we have a few more ports left, then the dreaded task of packing the suitcases and the long haul flight back home.

    More to follow.
    Cheers from The Boyz (Steve and Alan)
    🥂👬
    Read more