Satellite
  • Day 43

    Kerrville, Texas - Kerrville KOA

    March 28, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    45 days and 1,927 miles have gone by, yet here we are in another Texas town. Some have been small, very small, only a crossroad with a few buildings. Others have been larger, a few hundred people or even a couple of thousand. All have stories to tell. They all have a history and a present. We watch the people, do a little shopping, gather a feel for the area. Now we have arrived in Kerrville, TX, a good size town of approximately 23,000, situated along the Guadalupe River in the Texas Hill Country. There is a nice feel to this town.

    The complexion of our trip will change here. The Texas Hill Country is known as the border between the American Southeast and American Southwest. Scenery will change.

    We will be turning westward to a flatter and drier land. Vegetation changes. Fewer trees and more cactus. People and their culture change as both Mexican and Native American influence will be more apparent.

    As for Kerrville, it has been around since the mid 1800's. Original inhabitants were German. They were makers of wooden shingles. Later in the century ranching and cattle drives ruled the land. Of course the railroad showed up and the town grew from 1,400 in 1900 to today's 23,000 inhabitants. Kerrville has been named as one of the wealthiest small towns in America. Today the town has all the requisite elements for success - thriving businesses, recreational venues, education opportunities, plus natural beauty to support growing tourism.

    Kerrville has it all. It appears to be not only a nice place to visit, but also a nice place to live. Could you tolerate hot summer Texas days? Average August "high" temperature is 94°.

    Now we are about to turn westward to the wide open Texas. The beauty of scenery and sights will become more awe inspiring as the " big" West unfolds.
    Read more