Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Junction, TX - S Llano River State Park

    April 1, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Discovered another greatTexas State Park, South Llano River State Park. It is covered in beautiful wildflowers. What a sight!

    The Park also has a very noteworthy distinction. It is designated an International Dark Sky Park. A Dark Sky Park provides stargazers a unique opportunity to view the heavens without the light pollution and sky glow associated with developed areas. Unfortunately for us, clouds also are a factor in viewing the stars. Three nights here and 3 cloudy nights. No joy! More opportunities await us.

    The Park is home to the Rio Grande Turkey and 250 other species of birds. The turkeys form a large roost in the Park which is just ending, so turkey sighting was rare. As compensation we were able to see the exotic Blackbuck Antelope. This species is native to India and was imported to Texas in 1932 by ranchers. They now number in the thousands. And we came upon a Great Blue Heron searching for his/her dinner in the South Llano River. Wildlife is spotted when you least expect it.

    As for the town of Junction, TX, there's not much noteworthy. It is known as the "Land of Living Waters". Why? Answer is the South Llano River and the North Llano River meet here to form the Llano River. All this water makes for many recreational activities.
    Read more