Satellite
  • Day 2

    Dom vs Duomo

    August 10, 2017 in Austria ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    Our first proper day in Vienna and what is the first main tourist site we go to only St Stephan's Cathedral. We picked up exactly where we left off in Italy by visiting churches. While it wasn't as asthetically pleasing as the Milan Duomo due to the construction work taking place outside it was still very impressive. The Dom (that's cathedral in German) was free to enter and quite impressive. Again due to construction our movement within the church was hindered. It was surprisingly dark within. This is unlike the other impressive cathedrals I have been in previously. It was a relief to exit as it was hotter inside than out.

    Our next stop was the hop on hop off bus, the best way to see any city. We choose the red line as it had the most central route to start us off. The heat increased exponentionally while we were on the bus. The top cover on the bus did not help matters in any way. The limited air in the open window did little to cool us. Sweat patches galore but thankfully not visible to the naked eye. It brought me right back to last year to a similar tour bus in Toronto and an orange skirt!

    As we finished the red line tour and were admiring the museum quarter the skies open. It had been boiling for rain all day and we got it. It went from slightly overcast to hurricane style conditions in seconds. We dashed for cover and had to wait out the thunder and lightening for about 20mins. Not what we expected on our 'sunny' summer holiday.

    Once the storm passed the heat was gone. It was like being able to breathe fresh air again. Off we went to one of the main palaces in Vienna. The Hofburg palace is the largest one in the world with eighteen different wings....oh to be a princess!!

    The rest of the day was spent strolling around the city until we eventually made our way back to Graben Square. Here we had tea and soaked up the atmosphere in a street side cafe. I Also got my first taste of authentic apple struddle!! Yummy!! We also made a flying visit to Mozart's house which had just closed but we say the outside of it!

    We had great ideas of heading back to the apartment for some chilltime and a quick freshen up before going to the riverside for a nighttime drink with the locals. But that was not to be. The chill and freshen up occurred alright but as we were about to leave apartment we were nearly blinded by lightening. It and the thunder were back with a vengeance!! Like typical tourists we were glued to the windows watching in awe and fear at the sheet lightening illuminating the sky. This coupled with the downpour and accompanying thunder put a firm stop to our riverside drinks. We waited in hope for it to pass but to no avail. It was up to us to entertain ourselves for the night. Luckily after two years of living together we are pros at that at this point. A quick blast of 'all of our favourite things' from "The Sound of Music" kick started our randomness which included a game of 'Heads Up' and an investigation of our different horoscopes. Never a dull moment when we are together!haha
    Read more