Satellite
  • Day 7

    Arequipa, la ciudad blanca

    November 16, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    In the centre this city perfectly mirrors the mixture of the European and the indigenious Inka culture. In order to convince the indigenious people to adapt the catholic beliefs and values, indigenious symbols and traditions were included into those of the church. It especially shows in buildings and churches where you find Christian symbols like the cross combined with snakes and dragons. Also Arequipa is called the white city due to its European architecture and the avoidance of any colours in the main buildings of Plaza de Armas. Pretty impressive are the two snow topped vulcanoes (with their altitude of more than 6000m) behind them in the distance.

    Moreover, the monastery of Santa Catalina is a must see in Arequipa. People say it is an own city within the city and that seems to be reasonable when you see how big it is and what buildings and spaces the nons created for their daily life.

    To get all that knowledge the free walking tour is very recommendable and it also finished with a free Pisco Sour, as always. It didn’t stay the last one that evening as Arequipa proved to be a great place to enjoy a delicious Peruvian dinner, to go out for a drink or two and for clubbing and dancing Salsa 💃🏻🍸 Que pena I couldn’t stay longer!
    Read more