Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Verona

    August 8, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We got up early. I made coffee. However what we thought was milk turned out to be drinking yoghurt. Disgusting. Checked emails and caught up with some work. Fortunately the guys were doing well to hold the fort in my absence. We left the apartment at 11 am and made our way to the railway station. Queued twice to reserve onward tickets. The Italians have a habit of having long chats with the attendants st the counters. Some take ages to do what should be a simple procedure taking 2 minutes. Met some other Aussies in the queue who were catching the same train to Venice. With only 2 minutes to spare we boarded the train.

    We passed through Monfalcone home to Fincantieri - Cantieri Navali an Italian shipbuilding company based in Trieste, Italy. It was formed in 1959 and is owned by the Italian state. It is the largest shipbuilder in Europe. Several large cruise ships could be seen under construction.

    We arrived at Verona Porta Vescovo station late afternoon. From there it was a 10 minute walk to our apartment crossing a busy road on route. The apartment was about 2 km from the historic centre in the "Muno" quarter of town. It was very much the poorer area of town. There were a lot of South Asian and Africans around. Nevertheless the apartment was neat and tidy.

    After checking in we ventured out to the nearest supermarket a 1 km walk away to get happy hour supplies. There was a fairly limited choice.

    For the evening meal we ate at Cangrande Restorante and Enoteca in the historic heart of Verona. Another superb meal. The duck confit was particularly good.
    Read more