Satellite
  • Day 3

    Camping at Wandoan

    January 8, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    The environmental park has proven to be quite a gem. We have been listening to the many Reed Warblers and being entertained by the Babblers.
    There are numerous birds here so Pam is busy photographing them. Butterflies also seem plentiful with many different types and colours fluttering past.

    A group of finches arrived to take a drink less than 20 metres from us. We stayed quiet and watched them for the few minutes they wet their whistles. A left exit with a brief landing in a tree then off to hide in the reeds and continue their bird activities. Several Dotterals descended on the other bank and foraged along for a while before disappearing from view.

    It is hard to know how many little birds are living in this area. There is a lot of noise but they are very hard to spot. Yesterday the miniscule wrens were almost impossible to see, even when they moved. They blend in very well to the background. Getting a photo is simply good luck. The opportunity lasts only a few seconds before they move on.

    The weather is close to perfect at around 30 degrees with a nice breeze. This has been a nice way to spend our third day on the trip to Tamworth Music Festival.

    Amenities wise, this camp is quite well set up. The council looks after the rubbish collection and the clean toilets. There are even hot showers provided. The town is only a short walk away.

    Yesterday I did not bother to connect solar to the car fridge battery. The battery was at 98% at sundown. This morning we were at 89% so I connected the solar panel. This panel is the same as the one we used for the van extra input. By around 10am all the batteries were fully charged so we launched all the iPad and tablet chargers. Looking like my new solar design will work for us.
    Read more