Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Mount Hypipamee

    September 1, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    I have visited this spot a few times. The first time was many years ago and it would be unusual to see another person. Today ovely national park was quite bust y with people like us stopping for a lunch break or hiking to the crater or the Falls.

    It is quite a hike to the falls but the crater is fairly easy. New sealed paths make it possible for wheelchair access as well. The path of around 1k each way to the falls though is a but rougher and not sealed. A decent level of fitness is certainly a good idea for these sort of walks.

    The water in the crater is 70m below the viewing platform and then is another 60 or so meters to the bottom. This is an old volcanic crater. In common with many of these type of volcanic craters, the water has an almost constant temperature. It remains at 17.2 to 17.6 all year around. This constant temperature is perfect for the ancient duckweed that floats on the surface and the various lifeforms on the roots and all the way to the bottom.

    It was sad to see a group throwing rocks in. Even though it would seem harmless, if many people do this the effects may cause harm to the delicate ecosystem in the crater. I would like to see some information posted on this.
    Read more