Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    The No. 1 Dam

    September 4, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    This morning an early morning hike back to the same dam we visited yesterday afternoon. There are a lot of the same suspects visiting for an early drink of water but quite a few other birds as well. Pam fist spotted an emerald Dove. This shy bird is very difficult to spot and even harder to get a photo.

    Sitting quietly here they are not worried about us at all. Many are sitting in a tree just 5-6 meters away from me. Sometimes Pam is unaware that small birds are very close above her. It is so quiet here I can easily hear the flutter of wings as the birds enter and leave the drinking area.

    Several fallen branches make a perfect spot to perch and lean down for that clear chilly water. This spot has been active ever visit we have made.

    To visit this area, you must be a guest at the station. In the last two years amenities have been installed and sites prepared for powered caravan stays as well as tent and non powered camps.

    Part of the experience is the nightly dining. For a very reasonable price guests can join in for pizza night, roast night or several other catered meals. If you do plan to come here though, make sure you book. Sites for both powered and unpowered are strictly limited. The meals each evening are also limited. Only the first 20 bookings are going to participate each night. There are 30 seats for pizza night and a great night is had by all.

    The walks around the dams are quite easy on gentle inclines. If you walk to this dam and back you will have covered just over 3 kilometers. The track are all mowed and clear. It is not advised to leave the tracks but the owner can suggest some more advanced and longer walks. If you decide to leave the property good preparation and advising someone where you intend to go is very smart. Some visitors do head to Undara lava tubes or 40 mile scrub.

    While on the main tracks here you will have Telstra 3G service. No other carrier can be used. If you go elsewhere you may not have phone service.

    It is very easy to get disoriented in the bush, especially if you get an overcast day. It is always a smart move to make use of maps, compass or more recently to have Google satelite maps cached. This will help you know where you are.
    Read more