Satellite
Show on map
  • Thargomindah and Bulloo River

    September 11, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    The many signs we see as we travel and explore are a treasure trove of information.

    Here is the text from one on those signs.

    ***** Bulloo River Catchment *****

    The Bulloo River Catchment is a closed drainage system located between the Lake Eyre and Murray Darling Basins. It extends north almost to Isisford and south to just beyond Milparinka in New South Wales covering a total area of some 74,900 square kilometres. The Grey Range forms the watershed between the Wilson and the Bulloo rivers.

    The main channel of the Bulloo River travels approximately 600 kilometres through the townships of Adavale, Quilpie and Thargomindah, eventually terminating in a number of ephemeral lakes. The Bulloo Lakes supply a habitat for rare and threatened species such as the Fierce Snake, Little Pied Bat and Grey Grasswren..

    The area is one of extremely variable rainfall. Annual average rainfall ranges from of 150mm in the south-western corner to more than 500mm in the headwaters of the Bulloo River. Most of the area receives less than 300mm per annum. The Bulloo is sually dry except solated water holes but during years of strong monsoonal activity the summer, the Bulloo can flood heavily with annual flows of up to five times the average. In dry years annual rainfall can be as low as 100mm throughout the basin and years of zero runoff are not unknown.

    Grazing is the predominant industry in the Catchment. Opal mining has made a significant contribution to the local economy.

    ***** Bulloo Vegetation, Fauna and Floral *****

    Mulga (Acacia aneura) is the predominant vegetation type. Mulga communities range from open scrubland to tall, open shrublands, predominantly growing on red earths. There are also shallow red earth and lithosol residuals within the catchment that support a selection of Bastard Mulga, Lancewood and Bendee.

    The river channels and its associated streams are fringed by a mixture of Gidyea and eucalypt. Dominant eucalypt species in the Catchment are River Red Gum, Coolabah and Poplar Box. In the lower reaches the Bulloo River is dominated by a large lateral dune system.

    The Bulloo River is in a relatively pristine condition and is Carp free. Fish species found in the river are Bulloo Golden Perch or Yellow Belly, Spangled Perch, and the Moonfish or Hyrtl's Catfish. Yabbies. are also in plentiful supply.

    ***** Thargomindah History *****

    In 1860 the epic expedition of Burke and Wills through far South-Western Queensland paved the way for settlement in the area. Vincent James Dowling established Thargomindah Station on the banks of the Bulloo River around 1863.

    The station was located across the river from where the present town now stands. Dowling married in Sydney in 1866 and his wife Fanny and baby daughter Lillias moved to the station in 1867. On her arrival, Fanny Dowling was reported to be the only white woman within one hundred miles.

    The town of Thargomindah was established on the banks of the river opposite Thargomindah Station in the late 1860's. It is situated 1000 kilometres west of Brisbane and is the main town within the Bulloo Shire. The Town Reserve of Thargomindah was officially gazetted on 31st December 1874.

    Thargomindah was a main staging area for Cobb & Co Coaches in the early years. The Coach route crossed the Bulloo River on the outskirts of the township on the road to Cunnamulla and the remains of the stone crossing can still be seen today.
    Read more