Satellite
  • Day 21

    Off we go in the dark

    January 23, 2017 in Honduras ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    The 4am start was to ensure that we don't get stuck in traffic in Guatemala City which can take three hours.

    Last night I ended up going back to the restaurant where we had dinner the night before indulging in a glass of red with some bread as I sat in a window seat watching the passing parade. The street is still closed to traffic - must be a weekend thing.

    Our tour guide is much better than the last one which is a welcome relief from the idiot we had. This one gave us more information in the pre tour meeting than dopey had in the previous 15 days!

    I am in Honduras now! So far it looks like Guatemala.
    Except that there are alot of cowboy hats!

    The town we are staying in is close to the Mayan Copan ruins which we are seeing tomorrow. The town itself is lovely with cobbled streets and its so nice not to have all the pushy hawking. Also there are not many tourists.

    We drive an hour into the mountains to these amazing hotsprings set in the jungle. There are about 20 pools to soak in, lots of mud to smear all over us and stones to sit on near the hot water waterfall so its like a steam room. So relaxing and just what I needed. Also I skipped the awful lunch provided on the tour and got my own from the supermarket and also got a discount on the tour. This meant I had the springs all to myself for an hour! Bliss!

    Then off to the best restaurant in town where every tourist that is in town is eating in as well. Its nicely decorated and my simple meal of chicken salad and roast potatoes is the best I have had since leaving Sydney.
    Read more