Satellite
  • Day 11

    St Kitts

    January 15, 2019 in Saint Kitts and Nevis ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Port town is Basseterre which is the capital. Nothing planned today so I will check out whats available from private operators.

    Lively port entrance with lots of air conditioned shops and an ok town based on carribean standards. Picked up a 2 1/2 hour island tour for $25US as opposed to $60 charged by the ship.

    We passed the park where slaves were sold to plantation owners and the saw the building where they were held. The park is now called independence park.

    Land once used for sugar cane is now being developed for houses, resorts and businesses.

    The island has a few universities for foreign students, a brewery and a soft drink factory.

    Re housing the government leases it to citizens and provided you make your payments in 30 years you will owe the land and house.

    Good tour, not alot of sandy beaches and the Atlantic side is pretty much all rock. The highlight was a 400 year old tree and the view towards the island of Nevis.

    Once back had a look at the shops but they all have the same crap from China and India and its all tacky/ugly. Keen to get back on the ship since I discovered they have better desserts for afternoon tea!
    Read more