Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Hughenden - Porcupine Gorge

    April 14, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Today we started with a sleep in! Well.. most of us.. Dad decided to go on a sunrise walk over the lake to capture some cool shots and found many kites to be floating above the water!
    Before meeting up with the rest of the crew we decided to have a quick stop in the FJ Holden Cafe which was home to many old antiques including an original jukebox! We had some spiders and iced drinks to cool off and headed out to do some fossil fossicking where we found some cool rocks and crystals with interesting shapes and imprints!
    We met up with everyone else at the Flinders Discovery Centre and had a look through their fossils, dinosaur casts and a video that explained the layers in the ground that make up, particularly, this area and Porcupine Gorge.
    Speaking of, our next stop was Porcupine Gorge! On the way we stopped at a couple 'point of interests' which were all extremely disappointing. After leading everyone up a rocky hill with not a good view in sight and more than a few burrs to pick out of socks, we decided to head straight to camp.
    Once we figured out where everyone would set up, we had some arvo tea which included some snacks from the Hughenden bakery.
    Everybody came for a walk to have a sneak peak at the 'pyramid' which we will explore more tomorrow, further down into the gorge!
    Whilst enjoying dinner we had a couple visitors in our campsite. Bettongs. They were pretty friendly but not to each other! Hoping to see them again tomorrow!
    We finished the night with a gaze at the stars and took a few pictures to capture the beauty of the night sky!
    Read more