Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    San Gimignano, Italy

    May 18, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Tuesday, May 30, 2017

    Tuesday afternoon, we had a wine tasting at Tenuta Torciano. Gabrielle was our host and his family had owned the estate for generations. His great grandfather had 18 children and 37 descendants still work in the business. He described his great grandfather as a " very happy man"! Gabrielle was an outstanding host, and we sampled 8 different wines, the last costing $193/bottle - YIKES! We were served salamis, cheeses, lasagna with truffle oil, biscotti with grappa (a dessert liquor made from the skins of the grapes), and then given an opportunity to buy what we liked, and we had run the gamut! My personal favorite was the Pinot Grigio; Bill's was the Chianti Classico. They gave us a complimentary bottle of the Chianti when we left, which we enjoyed that evening! We have learned that we can take up to 6 bottles home, so someone's clothes will probably have to go!

    They will come do a private wine tasting in Smithfield if anyone is interested!

    San Gimignano (Italian pronunciation: [san dʒimiɲˈɲaːno]) is a small walled medieval hill town in the province of Siena, Tuscany, north-central Italy. Known as the Town of Fine Towers, San Gimignano is famous for its medieval architecture, unique in the preservation of about a dozen of its tower houses, which, with its hilltop setting and encircling walls form "an unforgettable skyline"] Within the walls, the well-preserved buildings include notable examples of both Romanesque and Gothic architecture, with outstanding examples of secular buildings as well as churches. The Palazzo Comunale, the Collegiate Church and Church of Sant' Agostino contain frescos, including cycles dating from the 14th and 15th centuries. The "Historic Centre of San Gimignano", is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The town also is known for the saffron, the Golden Ham and its white wine, Vernaccia di San Gimignano, produced from the ancient variety of Vernaccia grape which is grown on the sandstone hillsides of the area.
    Read more