Satellite
  • Day 1

    Headed Across the Pond

    August 28, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    After months of reading, watching DVD's, listening to podcasts and endless itinerary planning, it is finally time to set off for my month+ in England. Originally I had intended to spend half the month in England and the other half in France but as I began to do my research, I found that there was so much to see in the way of historical sites and natural beauty, that there was no way I could do England justice with a couple of weeks. The number of castles, cathedrals, manor homes, etc. is mind boggling.

    I have trial packed, packed and repacked, in an attempt to whittle down what I can and yet still have what I potentially will need. Suffice it to say that I my bag is as prepared as Mary Poppins on her best day. The main thing that made packing a challenge was the weather. It is somewhat unpredictable as it's typically in the 60's-70's in England this time of year and yet last week it was in the 90's. Sheesh, if I wanted that sort of thing I could stay in FL. Anyway, layering was definitely what was called for and that means more clothes than if you just have to plan for either hot or cold.

    The main downside to my leaving is that there is a 'major' hurricane brewing in the Atlantic and bearing down on FL and it looks as though it also has Central FLin its sights. I feel really bad about leaving my brother to hold down the proverbial fort and offered to reschedule but was overruled. So I will just have to leave it in God's hands, not that it was ever in mine.
    Read more