Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Day 15 - Fri, May 3 - Taking it easy....

    May 3, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    With our decision to skip the day trip to Capri, we were able to have a leisurely morning. It was a rather grey, overcast morning. From the breakfast room, we watched the ferry leave with four of our fellow travellers. Another couple has decided to take it easy today.

    After breakfast, we explored the lower town - the part down her the water's edge. Virtually all the stores in the lower town are cafés and most were just beginning to open up. Retail stores here typically are open from 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and then closed from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. for siesta time. They reopen then and stay open until about 9:00 p.m. which is what we saw last night. At this time of year when the temperatures are moderate, the siesta time is just a nice break in the day rather than a necessity for escaping the fierce summer temperatures.

    We walked back to the hotel and shed a layer of clothing as the day was warming up nicely. We headed out again, this time up the hill towards where we were last night. It's a maze of narrow streets and tiny shops, many of them ceramic shops. I got a Veltri thimble for my collection. We found a little shop and got sandwiches made up and a I sprang for my one and only date with a cannoli on this trip - Italian bakeries are dangerous places to enter. That delectable treat was seriously good.

    It's finally warm enough to put shorts on - yeah!!! I brought them all this way - have to give them some air time. We are going to camp out for the afternoon to read, watch Netflix, perhaps try out that siesta idea, and take it easy until our dinner date in the dining room here at the hotel at 7:45 p.m. We'll be interested to hear how the Capri visitors made out.
    Read more