Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Feb 9 - Dolphins!!!

    February 9, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    There are three very loud alarm clocks on the Fiord Navigator - two big engines and then the anchor. Not much sleeping in past 6:30 a.m. in this fiord.

    While we were having a lovely breakfast, we were thrilled to hear that a pod of dolphins was nearby. I had both my jacket and my camera with me, so I was well equipped for both the temperatures and the show. The rule of thumb is that for every dolphin you see on top of the water, there are probably three others underwater. The dolphins swam close to the ship and seemed not at all bothered by our presence. What beautiful creatures they are - so sleek and agile. They gave us a great show before they moved on.

    Back to the breakfast table for more good conversation. Lo and behold, there was another dolphin show going on. A little while later, we enjoyed yet a third show, albeit about 100 metres away. The ship won’t chase the dolphins to get a better view. To get two dolphin sightings is not very common. To get three is most unusual. Lucky us.

    We sailed into Hall Arm, one of three major arms of Doubtful Sound. At the captain’s request, we all stood/sat in complete silence with no cameras working. He turned off the engines and then he turned off the generators. For 10 serene moments, everything was quiet, with just the occasional bird call breaking the silence. Stopping to enjoy the glories of God’s creation will be for me a very special and treasured memory.

    Time to head back to Deep Cove. The water here is very dark because of all the tannins that get washed into it from the rotting vegetation. The water was very calm this morning, so the reflections on the dark water were perfect copies. This would be a serious photographer’s heaven.

    The staff staged a fire drill with Jorge dressed as the fire chief in full yellow uniform and sporting a big axe. After a demonstration of the fire hose operation, we all joined the staff in a rousing rendition of "YMCA"!

    We reluctantly disembarked and climbed back onto the bus for the return trip along the gravel road. Back on the ferry to cross Lake Manapouri again. It was just a short coach ride with Linda to Te Anau where we will be for one night.
    Read more