Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Ingapirca Ruins & Cuenca (1)

    April 8, 2022 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Very early in the morning we left Guayaquil for Ingapirca. Ingapirca is the most important Inca site in Ecuador.
    The exact purpose of the site, which was called a "castle" (castillo) by the Spanish chroniclers of the Conquista, is still not deciphered.

    I was surprised by the fauna in Ecuador - pampas grass 🌾and eucalyptus grow everywhere. And I saw wild Lamas 🦙 for the first time.

    We continued our ride to Cuenca.
    Cuenca is located at an altitude of 2,538 meters above sea level and has a population of approximately 580k. It is located in a valley formed by mountainous systems of exceptional characteristics.
    The architectural and cultural riches of the city, in general, have merited Cuenca its designation as a World Heritage City on December 1, 1999. The Historic Center of nearly 200 hectares is made up of the oldest residential area. Here we find a large number of buildings of great beauty in the colonial or Republican style; the archaeological area, the craft neighborhoods (of colonial origin); the central markets; the Tomebamba River Bluff with the Paseo 3 de Noviembre street and several other sites of cultural and scenic importance that show why the city was declared a World Heritage.
    Read more