Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Huayhuash (1)

    May 19, 2022 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    There is no doubt that the Cordillera Huayhuash is among the most beautiful mountain chains in the world. Located in the Peruvian Andes in South America and measuring a mere 30km in length; this mountain range is an incredible compact cluster of enormous icy towers surrounded by cascading rivers, turquoise lakes, and with a great diversity of flora and fauna. Here looming overhead stands the legendary Yerupaja (6634m), the second highest peak in Perú, and more legendary still, Siula Grande (6336m), a mountain famous as the setting of Joe Simpson’s epic tale of survival, “Touching the Void”.

    First day and worst day of the trek, because it rained and hailed and it was cold and almost everyone was asking himself: „Why am I doing this?“ - Climbing up a mountain by rain and wind, cold temperatures, sitting in a little tent with 11 people on a uncomfortable chair, sleeping on the ground when the temperature drops at night down up to -5 degrees, no bathroom, no warm water, just a natural toilet behind a rock…
    But as soon as you reach a pass or a peak, have a nice view over a valley, all that is forgotten - you just enjoy and are proud of yourself.

    Quartelhuain - Cacanapunta - Janca
    7,6km
    490hm/430hm
    Read more