Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 292

    Akaroa (1-2)

    December 17, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Off to our last common destination in New Zealand: Akaroa.

    An easy drive south-east of Christchurch, Banks Peninsula is the South Island's most interesting volcanic feature. Originally an island formed by two volcanic cones, the peninsula has two dominant craters which form Lyttelton and Akaroa Harbours. The peninsula was named for botanist Joseph Banks, who sailed with Captain James Cook on the Endeavour.

    Located on the south east side of the deep, sheltered Akaroa Harbour, the charming township of Akaroa has a special point of difference - it was the only French settlement in New Zealand.

    Lucky us, we were able to sea Hector dolphins close to our kayaks.
    Hector’s dolphins are the smallest and one of the rarest marine dolphin in the world, they are only found right here in New Zealand – Akaroa is one of the only places in the world where you can see them close to shore as they happily reside here in our turquoise and emerald green waters of our stunning marine reserve. They feel safe here and use the sheltered waters as a nursery to breed and protect their young.
    Read more