Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Shigatse - Pamchen Monastery

    October 2, 2023 in China ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    About 250km southwest of Lhasa and 90km northwest of Gyantse lies Shigatse (Rìkāzé), Tibet’s second-largest town and the traditional capital of Tsang province. Shigatse is a modern, sprawling city, with wide boulevards humming with traffic (even in the pedestrian-only lane). As you drive in across the plains, the site of the Potala-lookalike Shigatse Dzong, high on a hilltop overlooking the town, will probably fire your imagination, but the fort is empty and most of what you see dates from a 2007 reconstruction. It is the Tashilhunpo Monastery, to the west of town, that is the real draw. Since the Mongol sponsorship of the Gelugpa order, Shigatse has been the seat of the Panchen Lama, and this seat was traditionally based in the monastery.

    The Panchen Monastery
    One of the few monasteries in Tibet to weather the stormy seas of the Cultural Revolution, Tashilhunpo remains relatively unscathed. It is a real pleasure to explore the busy cobbled lanes twisting around the aged buildings. Covering 70,000 sq metres, the monastery is now the largest functioning religious institution in Tibet and one of its great monastic sights. The huge golden statue of the Future Buddha is the largest gilded statue in the world.
    Read more