Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Munroe Island - Snake Boat Race

    November 25, 2023 in India ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    In Kerala's history, during the 13th-century war between the kingdoms of Kayamkulam and Chembakassery, King Devanarayana of Chembakassery sought to settle the feud through a boat competition between the rival kingdoms. King Devanarayana of Chembakassery ordered the construction of a war boat that was later named Chundan Vallam. The unique design of the boat was developed by a renowned carpenter at the time. In fact, the design and technical methods used in crafting these boats date back around eight centuries.

    Today's Kerala Boat Race continues this tradition, featuring massive Chundan Vallams gracefully gliding on water to celebrate unity and heritage in perfect synchronisation. Observing the sporting showcases by the participating teams will leave you in awe. It's estimated that each team spends several lakhs of rupees to prepare for the race, with funds allocated for rigorous training, design, and maintenance of the race boats. For these athletes, the race holds more significance than just a competition. It embodies a centuries-old tradition of their land that has evolved into an emotion—beyond winning, it's about pride and honour. Their reverence for their race boats is akin to worshipping deities.
    Read more