Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Share Foods

    May 11, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    At Share Foods we sorted food and packaged it into boxes for families. Our strategy was to have an assembly line and also to have people restocking stations. We set a goal and we accomplished it, and we had fun all the while. It wasn't until the end that the supervisor realized how much we finished and she was really happy that we cleaned up.

    -"What about the service experiences is different than the service we do on the team?"
    Service leadership can be experienced and seen in various different and unique ways and instances. At school and in the community of Winfield we do lots of different things to help build ourselves and those we come into contact with. A lot of the times, those jobs that we do, the fundraisers we put on, classes we take, they have a direct effect on us and those involved. I feel as though in Winfield, the activities I do because of and through Leadership SC give me instant gratitude in the sense that I can see the difference I made right away. A lot of the time I get the immediate satisfaction of seeing how those involved were effected. With fall and spring cleaning I can see the difference in their yard or house, it’s right in front of my eyes. While in Philadelphia, we could see physical results throughout and after each job that we participated in. However, we didn’t get to see any emotional results. With the toy sorting at Salvation Army, we saw a large pile of bags diminish, but we didn’t see any toys get wrapped or given out. We didn’t get to see kids receive any presents or their face light up. At Front Step, we saw trash in the park diminish, but we didn’t get to see people enjoying the clean park. At Food Share, we saw food get packaged but not given out to families and enjoyed. In my opinion sometimes it makes jobs harder not being able to see the effects right away that you work has had on people.
    Read more