Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Petropolis

    September 9, 2023 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    First activity in Rio... Leave Rio. We headed for the mountains to aclimatize ourselves first since the last two locations were relatively cold. We headed for the historic city of Petropolis and we're really glad we did.

    The main reason, as we learned, was Brazil had a brief history with a monarchy from 1822 to 1889 but the legacy that was left can be found almost everywhere in Petropolis as well as Rio.

    Starting with Dom Pedro I, he declared Brazil's independence from Portugal. Less then a decade later his son Dom Pedro II took over and Petropolis was the summer home for him and his family. He did a lot for the people of the Brazilian Empire, but so did his daughter Princess Isabel who was known for abolishing slavery in Brazil.

    Our first stop however was Quitandinha Palace, which was originally built as a casino in the 40s before in the same decade Casinos were outlawed in Brazil. Now it stands as an extremely opulant building and, while I wasn't expecting to be impressed, it was unexpectedly huge on the inside and the definition of grand. Outside is a pond which is in the shape of Brazil.

    Next was the Imperial Palace of Dom Pedro II. He loved this area so much, when they were forced to leave Brazil he would write in his letters and ask "How is my beautiful Petropolis?". But we couldn't take pictures there. We even had to wear these funny little slippers for our shoes and scuff around the ground like we were on ice.

    The Catedral São Pedro de Alcântara was next and this is a neo-gothoc cathedral and the final resting place of Dom Pedro II, his Wife Teresa Christina and Princess Isobel.

    It was so fascinating to learn about the history of this area and it helped put into context all the old style buildings in Rio.
    Read more