Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Jardin Coffee Farm

    September 30, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    I'm not sure that I had met a real cowboy until I met the man who runs the coffee farm here at Cafe del Alto Jardin. He was a no nonsense to the point authority on coffee.

    But to get there was 5 hours of light torture. We had a lot of alcohol the night before and not a lot of sleep. So the for of us struggled enough with the windy mountain roads of the Antioquian countryside. But today the government had closed off three main roads making our driver try some alternative routes. These alternative routes took us to all parts of farm roads ending in dead ends asking the way. In 4WD mode most of the time as we go up and down these steep dirt tracks. But, eventually, we made it.

    Having a coffee before the lunch was served. He showed us this unique distil and syphon process and device that he uses for the coffee. Boiling the water on one side and sending the steam water over to the coffee on the other side before syphoning it back again to make the perfect coffee.

    Lunch was a very hearty home style stew with chicken and other meats. Very traditional and served with the normal sides expected here in South America of rice, avocado, salad and an arepa.

    Also learnt about the coffee farming process. Getting to pick the beans and then process them by removing the skin in the machine, drying process, roasting process too.
    Read more