Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Sanatorium Du Basil

    October 12, 2020 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    The construction of Sanatorium du Basil began in 1900, at the behest of Ernest Malvoz, the director of the bacteriological laboratory of Liège. It was built facing south with a concave design, as it was believed such architecture would increase the absorption of heat, air and light, all of which are essential to treating tuberculosis.

    In the 19th century there were numerous sanatoriums in Europe for the treatment of TB. This disease was known as a barely treatable disease that usually ended fatally. Meaning the building was mainly a place for patients to come and die.

    The sanatorium welcomed its first patients in 1903, and would continue to expand over the years. All rooms were supplied with electricity when it first opened thanks to a power plant on-site, which would also power the local village by the 1920s. After World War II, Liège had an additional pavilion built on the property, which housed workshops for rehabilitation of patients.

    Once Tuberculosis became a more curable disease, the building quickly became redundant

    Between 2010 and 2013 it was used as housing for asylum seekers. A small portion of the property is still in use as a nursing home.

    Currently on sale for 1.5 million Euro
    Read more