Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Normandy France

    June 17, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Saturday, June 17th. We drove to Etretat. We didn't know where to park as we had never been there before. We finally just watched everyone else and parked. The parking machines were not working to take credit cards. We started on the wrong path by the golf course. We cut behind some houses and ended up having a spectacular view of the beach. The town looked so cute! We want to go back sometime and explore it. As we were walking back to the car, Anya found a piece of pottery in the mud. It was a rainy day. We put it in the bungalow fountain when we returned home.

    Étretat is best known for its chalk cliffs, including three natural arches and a pointed formation called L'Aiguille or the Needle, which rises 230 ft above the sea. These cliffs and the associated resort beach attracted artists including Eugène Boudin, Charles Daubigny, Gustave Courbet, and Claude Monet. Claude Monet did several paintings in the area, particularly of the natural cliff arches and stacks.

    We drove through Honfleur, and they were having a huge market day in town. Drove by Sword Beach and went to the American Cemetery. Of course, it was so moving. We stopped at a grocery to get flowers so we could lay them on graves while we were there. We also picked some flowers to place on graves. It was beautiful and haunting to visit. We took photos of Omaha Beach and we were all moved by the visit especially when they were playing Taps as we were leaving.

    We also went to the Pegasus Bridge and Museum today and enjoyed all the exhibits and the bridge behind the museum.

    Mikel and I took turns driving and we went back to Le Havre. It was storming and we went to one cafe and had to move to a better one. It was a nice dinner while it rained. The fire alarm was going off at the hotel as we went to dinner. We walked along the beachfront on the way home.
    Read more