Satellite
  • Day 4

    Hoist the Sails - Wind at Last

    September 29, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    It doesn't take long before you start to forget what happened on what day. This is commonly known as relaxation or, to some, Blob Mode. This isn't helped by the unbearably perfect temperatures, the drone of the engine, the soothing sounds of water flowing around the hull and the gentle rocking motion as the yacht meanders through a world of blue. Both the sky and the ocean are a deep shade of blue with the mountains of the coastline caressed by a delicate blue haze, so it is virtually impossible not to switch off and simply enjoy what surrounds you.

    And so it is, this family of four spending another day navigating their way through the Ionian Islands, though lunch was taken on the fly as there was enough wind to sail for most of the day, albeit slowly at times. Penny and Tom had their now regular swim in the crystal clear Mediterranean water but we weren't anchored in a bay this time - the yacht simply drifted in deep water whilst they jumped in and swam for a while.

    Afterwards the journey continued to Kalamos and it was great the wind had suddenly appeared to help Harmonia on its way and it was nice to be able to sail properly. We arrived in Kalamos about 17.30 with the evening meal in a restaurant only a short walk away.

    The Flotilla leader had chosen this port specifically because overnight high winds and a potential thunderstorm was forecast. As we returned to the boat for the night, the wind was already stronger and the waves were splashing against the harbour wall.
    Read more