Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Day 31 - To Riego de Ambros

    October 9, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Day 31 - To Riego de Ambros
    22 kms; Difficulty 3/3
    23-24°C

    Today I came upon a place called Cruz de Ferro. As you will see from the photo it is a huge wooden pole with an iron cross at the top and an enormous pile of rocks at the base. Everyone walking the Camino is aware that they will come across this site. The idea of it is to bring a rock from home or anywhere really. The rocks represent the burdens that people carry. As they leave their rock behind, they hopefully unburden themselves of whatever troubles them, and hopefully are able to live a happier life. Needless to say it can be very emotional for people.

    This place is believed to be “an ancient monument which was first erected by the ancient Celts, then dedicated by the Romans to their god Mercury (protector of travelers), and later crowned by the cross and renamed as a Christian site in the 9th century. For centuries, pilgrims have brought a stone to the place (from home or the flatlands below) to represent their burden. The stone and the burden are left here, leaving the Pilgrim lighter (literally and figuratively) for the journey ahead.”(Camino De Santiago, Village to Village Guide).

    All sorts of items are left. Stones with messages on them, memorial pictures, etc. A friend I met on the trail left a picture of his deceased wife and sprinkled her ashes.
    After being on top of the rocks, at the pole, I sat near the little church thinking. And while looking at the enormous pile of rocks that have been left for centuries, I couldn’t help but think of the enormity of burdens unloaded here over the centuries! I pray that each and every “unburdening” was successful at the time and that they remained successful permanently.

    Most of the trail today was not good, as you’ll see in the pictures. I really don’t like trails like this. They slow me down, they’re dangerous, and I cannot take my eyes off the trail to see the beautiful views. It was tiring.
    Read more