Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 39

    Rudkobiing to Copenhagen

    13 Ağustos 2023, Danimarka ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    We had big plans for today, namely prehistoric dolmens across the south lands, but Google maps caused us no end of navigational grief so we missed out on a few things. Ah well… I'd like to say "next time" but I don't think there'll be one in this neck of the woods 😉
    We did manage to take in two rather amazing things though, one new and man made and one eons old and made by the Great Earth Mother herself (with the help of a whopper of an asteroid).
    Set amongst the wheat fields on the island of Lolland, overlooking the archipelago, is a giant man made sculpture of human heads. Think Easter Island but by known, living sculptors. Dodekalitten (dodeca meaning twelve) is a series of enormous heads, each 7 to 9 metres high, all facing the centre of a 40m circle and interwoven with spacial, electronic (and somewhat tranquilising) music coming from speakers set within the groundstones. It represent a fictitious people who emigrated to the area and is yet incomplete. I wonder what people will think a thousand years from now … the views from the fields were beautiful.
    We spent some time walking the cliffs of Stevns Klint (Klint meaning cliff). These are white chalk cliffs, which hold geological evidence of the asteroid that struck the earth 65 million years ago, whiping out the dinosaurs and a bunch of other species. This evidence comes in the form of a layer of "fish clay" (I have no idea why is called fish clay) set within the layers of chalk and limestone on the cliff face. Interestingly, the stone here was also previously cut into blocks and used as building material, probably also including the fish clay. There is half a church on the cliff, the "choir" (that part of the building where the choir would gather) having fallen into the sea in 1928 along with part of the cemetery, resulting in coffins and skeletons sticking out of the cliff face and being strewn on the beach below. Apparently it was quite the tourist attraction at the time! The views here were great even without the corpses!
    We are now back in Copenhagen preparing for a couple of days of gentle sightseeing. Fingers crossed that the weather stays as perfect as it was today
    Okumaya devam et