Спутник
Показать на карте
  • День 24

    Reykavik to Hvolsvollur

    29 июля 2023 г., Исландия ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    What does the meeting of two continental tectonic plates have in common with an explosion crater, a geyser, geothermic pools, a glacier and a massive waterfall? They are all easily accessible along a ring road known as the Golden Circle here in South Iceland. We gave our little car a huge workout today, travelling a couple of hundred kilometres to see a much as we could … and we did!!
    Our first stop along the Golden Circle was to see the meeting of the Eurasian and North American plates in a much more dramatic setting in Thingvellir National Park (spelt with a funny "P" … work that out!) Not only is this area famous for its moving earth, it is also the site of the establishment of the first Icelandic parliament in 980, which continued to be held here until 1798, as well as Iceland's largest lake, Lake Thingvallavatn (also spelt with a funny P). For me though, it's the tectonic plate boundary of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge along with its gorges and fissures, that make this area remarkable.
    Interestingly, this area was the site of law enforcement and punishment in the day. The ancients wasted no time on criminals, thieves, fornicators, witches and wizards. Many were drowned, beheaded, burned at the stake, flogged and hanged here. "She's a witch!! Burn her!!" So sayeth the gospel according to Monty Python.
    The Mid-Atlantic Ridge cuts Iceland into two parts and can drift away from each other at up to 2cm per year. Huge right? Geothermic areas are divided into high and low temperature areas, the high temperature areas being within the volcanic zone and the low temp areas without. We visited a high temp area next with bubbling pools of 100°C and a very regular, and quite spectacular, geyser. Did you know that two Icelandic words have insinuated themselves into the English language? They are saga, meaning a story or tale, and geyser, meaning to gush. The geyser here certainly gushed and it was most impressive. Higher than Old Faithful in the US, it cut quite the figure against the backdrop of the cloudy skies.
    Our next visit was to Gulfoss, a mighty and incredibly forceful waterfall and one I highly recommend if you ever visit Iceland. Coming from the melting waters of the Langjökull glacier, this certainly provided a wow moment! Samara called it wowtacular and spifftastic but she's working on other adjectives for more emphasis. We walked as far as we could to see as much as we could here and it was worth every aching muscle!
    Our last stop of the day was to the Kerid Crater, a relatively young explosion crater along the south's volcanic belt. You can tell its young because it still has the reds of its iron deposits rather than the black sand and rock of older volcanoes. It has a lovely deep blue crater lake at its bottom and we strolled around the rim and lake to get the best views. (Actually, I stumbled in the gravel and hit the literal dust. At what age does one stop "tripping over" and start "having falls"?? Hmmm…)
    Actually, I've told another fib. Our last stop of the day was at one of Iceland's only bottlo's. We feel like we deserve a treat this evening!!
    Another very full day indeed.
    Читать далее