Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Oslo (Norway) to Gothenburg (Sweden)

    July 24, 2023 in Sweden

    We arrived in Gothenberg (back in Sweden) this afternoon after a 4 hour train ride from Oslo. This is a lively city, celebrating their 400 year anniversary with musicians, bands and dancers on almost every corner and park. The music is varied and there are people enjoying themselves everywhere. It's busy for a Monday afternoon. We walked along the canal towards Trädgårdsföreningen (the home of the Garden Society of Gothenberg) and catch Irish musicians in the garden square. You know how much I love old Irish music but it seemed quite out of place here. Later, we see a young band there which had the crowd tapping their feet. The Trädgårdsföreningen (herein known as the garden) was lush and green and gorgeous, filled with undulating lawns and flower beds of native and exotic plants. The amazing wrought-iron Palmhouse was a piece of art in itself and was filled with heat and tropical plants. Though these may be a sight to see in Sweden, I think I grow a great deal of these plants in my own house and garden.
    We take in the sights of the city … the lovely old buildings, various parks and gardens and the old town (which was filled with modern shops). There are murals on walls and doors throughout the city (not on the historic buildings) and we seek a few out. We stumbled upon one of the oldest buildings in Gothenburg, the Kronhuset, built in 1642, just 21 years after King Gustav II Adolf founded the city … a quiet and culturally significant landmark within the bustling downtown area.
    Tomorrow we pick up our car and attempt to navigate the south of Sweden from the wrong side of the road.
    Read more