Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Dignity of Earth and Sky

    May 17 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    So I was standing by my phone and I said South Dakota. A post on Facebook came up with a picture of this statue. I looked up the location and found that it is located at a rest stop on the I-90. Since that is the highway between Sioux Falls it became a must see. We stopped to see the 50 foot statue and it was spectacular.

    Here is some info from the Travel South Dakota website.

    She wears a garment patterned after a traditional two-hide dress of the 1850s. One of the statue’s most striking features is her outstretched star quilt — a symbol of respect, honor and admiration in Native American culture. The quilt’s 128 stainless steel diamonds feature color-changing pieces that glitter in the sun and move with the wind, creating a rippling effect. At night, LED lights cause the diamonds to illuminate the dark sky, casting a peaceful glow that’s easily visible from the interstate.

    She casts a peaceful gaze across the waters of the Missouri River. During the day, the South Dakota wind brushes the diamonds in her star quilt, causing blue shades to twinkle in the sunlight. At night, she stands illuminated and strong. She is Dignity.
    Read more