Satellite
  • Day 134

    Cameron Highlands

    August 13, 2016 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We arrived in Cameron Highlands the night before after a 4 hr bus ride that winded its way up to 1,500 metres of elevation. The last portion of the drive was really scenic as we became surrounded by jungle covered mountains and steep drops off as the bus wound around curves. Finally a little relief from the heat. There was still humidity, but a big improvement.

    We stayed at the Cameronian Inn. The accommodations were moderate but we really liked the staff, location and the breakfast. The owner was a lot of fun to talk with and gave us everything we needed to know about hiking in the area. We were warned to stay off one trail where people were frequently mugged.

    For day 1 we packed a lunch and headed to Trail 1. This was the longest and hardest trail which started a short distance from our accommodations and took us up Mt Brinchang to the famed BOH tea planation. We hike through the jungle to the peak of the mountain then followed the road down to the tea planation. The views were great but the tea was served in more of a cafeteria then a tea room (and way too many people). We started our return walk along the road, which we realized was going to be a long one, and accepted a ride from some locals and hopped in the back of their pickup truck.

    The truck ride was great. They dropped us off at the Brinchang weekend night market where we wandered the stalls and purchased our dinner. Everything worked out really well today.
    Read more