Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Across the border to Latvia

    August 24, 2017 in Latvia ⋅ 🌬 14 °C

    Today we have our ride first up which is actually good. We take a 35 km route of mostly bike paths through the forest and a bit of coast, 3 km on the main road. It's through the Seaside Regional Park which apparently is a former soviet military training area. This west side of Lithuania has a lot of reminders still of their Russian history. On the way to Palanga where we are headed, we stop in at a beach on the Baltic Sea with pines all around. The beach is sandy but has a lot of different coloured pebbles on it. I collected a few small ones to bring home.
    Palanga is the biggest Lithuanian seaside resort, the typical summer destination for the locals. While we are there we visit the Botanical Garden and amber gallery at the Palace of Count Tyskiewicz which was built in 1897. Lovely gardens with statues depicting Lithuanian fairy tales and the amber gallery is quite different than the others, it has a lot more history and specimens in it. The bottom floor has rooms with old century furniture in it, depicting palace halls of the aristocracy. Further on we stop at a seaside area that has a fountain, souvenir and food shops and a "bridge" that is the Symbol of Palanga, it's really a pier but goes out over the water quite a bit and has a good view. Lunch is at a nice cafe in Palanga, I had some local fish - halibut, the first for the trip and was delicious.
    The ride was over and we had a bus journey of 290 km stopping near Siauliai at the Hill of Crosses. That place is amazing - 2 mounds full to overflowing with crosses and christian figurines. I'll do a whole page on that with the explanation.
    Driving on through the Lithuanian countryside we cross over into Latvia, where the farms etc all look the same. Some of the houses look a little different already though.
    Apparently, Lithuania is a catholic country and Latvia is mainly Lutheran
    We arrive at Riga, the capital city of Latvia and find our hotel Konventa Seta. Yes, it used to be a convent. Very old and many rooms in separate "apartment" type buldings. Very nice rooms and comfy beds.
    Riga was established in 1201 and has been ruled by the Swedish, the Russians and the Lithunia/Polish commonwealth before all the Baltic countries gained their independence in 1920.
    Read more