Спутник
Показать на карте
  • День 7

    Day 2 Off to Fez

    19 марта 2023 г., Марокко ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Today, we take a guided tour of the World Heritage-listed site of Volubilis, one of the Roman empire's most remote bases. The remains make an undeniably impressive sight as they come into view on the edge of a long, high plateau. We had a tour of the ancient hilltop ruins with a local guide who was very good. The ruins were amazing, they had been re-discovered by a French archaeologist. The site had been covered in soil and many mosaic floors had been preserved.

    Then we return to Meknes and take a few hours to explore with another great local guide.
    Meknes royal Kasbah has 40 Km of walls made of clay, earth and lime packed down.
    He takes us to a mosque, Medina markets and the Royal golf course. Morocco is encouraging golf to be played by everyone not just the elite. Even have golf schools for kids now.
    The Medina is the 3rd largest in Morocco.
    We have a camel burger for lunch at a local restaurant in the medina. Some people chose not to but most had it and enjoyed it. I did, of course.

    In the afternoon, we take a 1-hour train to Fes, where we'll spend the next two nights. Fes is the most complete medieval city in the Arab world, and the most ancient of Morocco's imperial cities.

    I'm noticing more dogs around. There are many cats in the Moroccan cities, dogs are generally not liked. According to the guide on my first day " they bark too loud and scare the 2 angels of your shoulders"

    The Meknes area is very fertile agricultural land. Crops I've noticed - garlic, rape seed, olive trees, others.
    The guide said today they are gearing up for an agricultural expo which is very big.

    For tea we go to a private house, a friend of Hassan's who feeds us (for a price, 130 durhims, ÷7 for $AUD) which is very authentic and lovely. We had a soup with lovely bread and sides then a chicken pie Morocco style. It's called a pastilla.
    Читать далее